Wednesday, September 19, 2012

BOOK REVIEW - Brave New World


Brave New World
Brave New World
by Aldous Huxley
Originally published 1932
Published by Vintage Classics
Classics, Science fiction, Dystopia

2 stars

Well, what can I say? 2 stars only and probably a lot of reasons why. In the beginning I think it took too long to get to the story. Maybe the beginning is meant to explain the world the events take place in. But it did not work for me. Then the book reached a part where I felt things were starting to happen, characters to follow were introduced.. But there was not one character you could´ve followed through the hole story. And that is something I think I would´ve needed here. I did not really care what happened to the characters.

I really like the idea of the story though! The world as so different than what it´s like really. I think if the world would´ve been introduced while introducing characters and the story going forward, I would really have liked this book. But not every book is suitable for everyones´ tastes, so this one just was not meant for me. There were parts where I really got into it but they were too short for me to stay excited. Sci-fi for me can only work so often.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't work for you :( I loved it, though I had to read it twice to get all the underlying motifs. And it's really interesting to watch how many dystopias of today use the same motifs of Huxley and Orwell with different spins on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? This book is a classic; great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´d like to hear what are all the things people who´ve read and liked it were? Please people tell me what made you love this book?

    ReplyDelete